Re: How to measure time accurately.

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Tue Mar 29 2005 - 00:09:34 EST

krishna wrote:
Hi All,

Can any one tell me how to measure time accurately for a block of C code in device drivers.
For example, If I want to measure the time duration of firmware download.

Most cpus have some way of getting at a counter or decrementer of various frequencies. Usually it requires low-level hardware knowledge and often it needs assembly code.

On ppc you'd use the mftbu/mftbl instructions, as suggested by Lee on x86 you'd use the rdtsc instruction.

Chris