Re: Can't use SYSFS for "Proprietry" driver modules !!!.

From: Greg KH
Date: Mon Mar 28 2005 - 23:50:29 EST

On Mon, Mar 28, 2005 at 09:03:29PM -0700, Zan Lynx wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 19:33 -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> > Also, the code has undergone a rewrite, fixing many issues, and changing
> > the way things work to tie more closely into the main driver core code.
> > As such, the class_simple code is now just gone, there is no such need
> > for it. And as such, the new code contains the _GPL markings, as I do
> > not think that _anyone_ can try to claim that their code would not be a
> > derived work of Linux who wants to use it (as no other OS has such a
> > driver model interface.)
>
> That does not really make sense, as the driver model code could be used
> for ndiswrapper, for example. That would not make the Windows net
> drivers derived code of the Linux kernel. ndiswrapper, yes it would be.
> Binary driver blobs, no.
>
> ndiswrapper is a perfect example, in fact. It is GPL, and implements an
> _interface_ to binary code that is not GPL.

And do your lawyers deem ndiswrapper as something that is legal under
the GPL? The ones I have talked to definitely do not feel that way.

Again, why are we, non-lawyers arguing about this. If you work for a
company that deals with Linux kernel issues, and you have any questions
about the legality of _anything_, get a legal opinion. Don't rely on
lkml for this.

greg k-h