[RFC] Driver States

From: Adam Belay
Date: Sun Mar 27 2005 - 17:49:54 EST

Dynamic power management may require devices and drivers to transition
between various physical and logical states. I would like to start a
discussion on how these might be defined at the bus, driver, and class
levels.

Bus Level
=========
At the bus level, there are two state attributes, power and
enable/disable. Enable/disable may mean different things on different
buses, but they generally refer to resource decoding. A device can only
be enabled during a non-off power state.

A possible API:

struct bus_type {
char * name;

struct subsystem subsys;
struct kset drivers;
struct kset devices;

struct bus_attribute * bus_attrs;
struct device_attribute * dev_attrs;
struct driver_attribute * drv_attrs;

int (*match)(struct device * dev, struct device_driver * drv);
int (*hotplug) (struct device *dev, char **envp,
int num_envp, char *buffer, int buffer_size);
int (*suspend)(struct device * dev, pm_message_t state);
int (*resume)(struct device * dev);
int (*enable)(struct device * dev);
int (*disable)(struct device * dev);
};

Driver Level
============
At the driver level there are two areas of interest, physical and
logical state. There is an additional concern of transitioning between
these states multiple times. Because a driver acts as a bridge between
physical and logical components, I think separating these steps seems
natural.

A possible API:

struct device_driver {
char * name;
struct bus_type * bus;

struct semaphore unload_sem;
struct kobject kobj;
struct list_head devices;

struct module * owner;

int (*attach) (struct device * dev);
int (*start) (struct device * dev);
int (*open) (struct device * dev);
int (*close) (struct device * dev);
void (*stop) (struct device * dev);
void (*detach) (struct device * dev);
void (*shutdown) (struct device * dev);
int (*suspend) (struct device * dev, u32 state, u32 level);
int (*resume) (struct device * dev, u32 level);
};

*attach - allocates data structures, creates sysfs entries, prepares driver
to handle the hardware.

*start - Sets up device resources and configures the hardware. Loads
firmware, etc.
(physical)

*open - engages the hardware, and makes it usable by the class device.
(logical and physical)

*close - disengages the hardware, and stops class level access
(logical and physical)

*stop - physically disables the hardware
(physical)

*detach - tears down the driver and releases it from the "struct device"

The idea behind *attach and *detach is to move code that would only need
to be called once out of *probe and *remove.

A table could be defined that indicates what should be called for each
power level transition. *suspend and *resume could handle any extra
steps (ex. saving state). As an example, *start and *stop may only be
called when power is going to be lost entirely.

Additional states are class specific and would only be used after *open
is called.

Class Level
===========
At the class level, we could have a simple start/stop mechanism.

A possible API:

struct class_device {
struct list_head node;

struct kobject kobj;
struct class * class;
struct device * dev;
void * class_data;

char class_id[BUS_ID_SIZE];

int (*attach) (struct device * dev);
int (*start) (struct device * dev);
void (*stop) (struct device * dev);
void (*detach) (struct device * dev);
};

*attach - allocates data structures, creates sysfs entries, prepares
class to handle the device.

*start - start the logical class device, accept userspace interaction

*stop - stop the logical class device, deny userspace interaction

*detach - tear down the class driver's bindings with this class device

These are just rough ideas. I look forward to any comments or
alternative approaches.

Thanks,
Adam