Can't use SYSFS for "Proprietry" driver modules !!!.

From: Mark Fortescue
Date: Sat Mar 26 2005 - 12:53:32 EST

Hi,

I am writing a "Proprietry" driver module for a "Proprietry" PCI card and
I have found that I can't use SYSFS on Linux-2.6.10.

Why ?.

I am not modifing the Kernel/SYSFS code so I should be able, to use all
the SYSFS/internal kernel function calls without hinderence.

In order to be able to use SYSFS to debug the driver during development
the way I would like to be able to do, I will have to temporally change
the module licence line to "GPL". When the development is finnished I will
then need to remove all the code that accesses the SYSFS stuf in the
Kernel and change the module back to a "Proprietry" licence in order to
comply with other requirements. This will then hinder any debugging if
future issues arise.

I believe that this sort of idiocy is what helps Microsoft hold on to its
manopoly and as shuch hinders hardware/software development in all areas
and should be chanaged in a way that promotes diversified software
development.

Regards
Mark Fortescue.