Re: 2.6.12-rc1 breaks dosemu

From: Arnd Bergmann
Date: Sat Mar 26 2005 - 08:54:23 EST

On SÃnnavend 26 MÃrz 2005 09:18, Bart Oldeman wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Mar 2005, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
>
> > > eip: 0x000069ee esp: 0xbfdbffcc eflags: 0x00010246
> >
> > hmm interesting. Can you check if at the time of the crash, the esp is
> > actually inside the stack vma? If it's not, I wonder what dosemu does to
> > get its stack pointer outside the vma... (and on which side of the vma
> > it is)

The esp value is always slightly below the stack vma and above ld.so.
Running it a few times gives

stack VMA crash esp
bfc8f000-bfca4000 bfc5ffcc
bffa0000-bffb7000 bff5ffcc
bfe0c000-bfe23000 bfdbffcc
bf7ff000-bf814000 bf7bffcc
bfaa9000-bfabe000 bfa5ffcc
bfaa9000-bfabe000 bfa5ffcc
bffc5000-bffda000 bff7ffcc
bfba9000-bfbbf000 bfb5ffcc
bf865000-bf87b000 bf81ffcc
bfe7d000-bfe92000 bfe3ffcc
bff9f000-bffb4000 bff5ffcc
bfc73000-bfc89000 bfc3ffcc
bffe3000-bfff8000 -> works

> To Arnd:
>
> Another thing you should probably do is to build dosemu with debug
> information, and then look into ~/.dosemu/boot.log after it crashes.
> That will give you the contents of /proc/self/maps, a gdb backtrace and
> various other goodies.
>
> I've checked it myself but can't reproduce, neither with plain dosemu
> 1.2.2 nor with current CVS.

I'm using the dosemu-1.2.1-3 binary that currently comes with debian
sarge, and would prefer not having to build a new dosemu. As far as
I can tell, the command.com that is started belongs to freedos, not
comcom.
The crash however does happen shortly after the command.com file
is opened.

Arnd <><