Re: Promise SX8 performance issues and CARM_MAX_Q

From: Bernard Blackham
Date: Thu Mar 24 2005 - 23:49:27 EST

On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 11:09:17PM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> >Indeed there does seem to be new firmware out as of 2/23/05. I ran my
> >tests with the 9/10/04 firmware but I did not adjust the CARM_MAX_Q
> >value. Do either of you happen to know what firmware revisions you
> >tested under?

BIOS boot messages didn't seem to indicate a firmware version, but
this card was only available in stock in early March, so its fairly
likely to have the latest firmware (2/23/05).

> The driver should be solid for _at least_ CARM_MAX_Q==31, presuming that
> the firmware doesn't choke.

We've run it here with CARM_MAX_Q = 32 with a custom stress testing
script and haven't had any incidents so far. CARM_MAX_Q = 33 goes
bad instantly.

> (c) stress the card with fsx, badblocks, iozone, and other tools
> on -multiple ports- simultaneously.

I'll give those a workout over the weekend and let you know the
results.

Thanks,

Bernard.

--
Bernard Blackham <bernard at blackham dot com dot au>