Re: How's the nforce4 support in Linux?

From: Lennart Sorensen
Date: Thu Mar 24 2005 - 11:29:00 EST

On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 04:30:32AM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Well, let's cut through the B.S. ;-)
>
> * Even when the SATA core is updated to support NCQ, nForce will not
> support it under Linux. No hardware info.

Hmm, either that or someone will figure it out anyhow, like they did
with forcedeth. Would be nice if nvidia would realize just how dumb not
releasing programing specs is. How can that be considered a secret.
Maybe they just have a company wide policy of "release nothing" rather
than "don't release the clever 3D acceleration in our drivers that ATI
can't have". Some comapnies just don't seem to realize they are in the
business of _selling_ hardware, not hardware interface specifications.

> * "hardware firewall" -- sounds silly. Pretty sure Linux doesn't support
> it in any case.
>
> * overclocking -- overclockers are always playing with fire. any
> overclocked hardware is suspect and unsupportable.
>
> * via comes with gigabit lan these days. My own VIA-based Athlon64
> system comes with r8169 gigabit.

I think the r8139 has ruined realtek for me forever. I like the Marvell
Yukon chip Asus includes on many boards (although some people have
reported problems with some Asus boards using them with Linux).

Len Sorensen