Re: How's the nforce4 support in Linux?

From: Asfand Yar Qazi
Date: Thu Mar 24 2005 - 05:06:37 EST

Asfand Yar Qazi wrote:
Arjan van de Ven wrote:

* "hardware firewall" -- sounds silly. Pretty sure Linux doesn't support
it in any case.

probably just one of those things implemented in the binary drivers in
software, just like the "hardware" IDE raid is most of the time (3ware
being the positive exception there)

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Previews/nvnforce4/3.html

You're right there - some semi-hardware support combined with drivers apparently result in lower CPU usage that software firewalls. Apparently.

Actually, these people like it:
http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=712&pageID=1096

However one feature that you can't laugh at is the fact that it can be made to block packets in the span of time between the OS being loaded up, and the "real" firewall coming up. This small time span theoretically leaves the PC vulnerable, so I think this is the only use for "ActiveAmor Firewall".

However, this doesn't answer my original question (which I suppose I should have made clearer): can I get SATA II NCQ support in Linux with an nForce 4 chipset?

Argh already been answered. Another question: which add-in SATA RAID boards (preferably in PCI Express flavour) support NCQ fully and will be fully supported in Linux?