Re: 2.6.x wireless update and status

From: Michael Wu
Date: Wed Mar 23 2005 - 19:21:59 EST

On Wednesday 23 March 2005 12:52 am, Jouni Malinen wrote:
> > Moving forward, the next "todo" for kernel wireless hackers is to get
> > ieee80211 common code lib into shape, namely:
> > * Merge Intel ipw drivers, which use ieee80211
> > * Update HostAP to use ieee80211
> > * Merge/convert other drivers to use ieee80211?
>
> I'll be working on HostAP driver next; and ieee80211 code of course at
> the same time, since it is likely to need some changes for this. As far
> as other drivers are concerned, I'd like to see Atheros cards working
> with the generic ieee80211 code. They would be a good test target since
> they are an example of design where very large part of functionality is
> in the driver/network stack (no firmware used). This would be a good
> test to verify that the 802.11 code is generic enough for such a design.

The ADM8211 would be a good test too. So far, the main thing I see missing
from the 802.11 code is software scanning/authentication/association. Is all
of that being moved to userspace? I prefer having a little bit of that in the
kernel so minimal managed, adhoc, and WEP features can be used without a
daemon.

-Michael Wu