Re: dmesg verbosity [was Re: AGP bogosities]

From: Grant Coady
Date: Tue Mar 22 2005 - 20:01:40 EST

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 01:37:29 +0100, Diego Calleja <diegocg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>El Mon, 14 Mar 2005 14:07:53 -0500,
>Lee Revell <rlrevell@xxxxxxxxxxx> escribió:
>
>> I'm really not trolling, but I suspect if we made the boot process less
>> verbose, people would start to wonder more about why Linux takes so much
>> longer than XP to boot.
>
>By the way, Microsoft seems to be claiming that boot time will be reduced to the half
>with Longhorn. While we already know how ms marketing team works, 50% looks
>like a lot. Is there a good place to discuss what could be done in the linuxland to
>improve things? It doesn't looks like a couple of optimizations will be enought...

Considering msft don't do full options hardware detection until
after GUI shell is up, next speed up could simply be start from
hibernate? They already do a hardware signature, and if hardware
changed you may need a new license anyway :-) Pay per cold boot?

Noisy startup? 2.6 has good solution in default kernel build,
display milestones during startup or super quiet loader option
passed from boot? "dmesg -qq" thru "dmesg -vv" stir anyone?

Grant.