Re: SVGATextMode on 2.6.11

From: Alan Curry
Date: Tue Mar 22 2005 - 16:38:47 EST

Andries Brouwer writes the following:

>> "Alan Curry" <pacman-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> An SVGATextMode
>>> block cursor isn't affected by ^[c -- it truly *becomes* the default
>
>True - it is obtained by hardware reprogramming. But having lots of programs
>touch the hardware is getting less popular.

Yes, I realize that SVGATextMode is probably considered obsolete by now. If
the new cursor-restoring code actually solved a problem, SVGATextMode
breakage is an acceptable side effect.

>Concerning your 1. - You know that such an echo actually creates the VC?
>I still recall the times that there was not enough memory for more than
>four or five VCs, but probably you don't mind wasting a few hundred kB.

I did find a better way, as explained in a subsequent message: Set the
console font before changing the cursor, and don't touch it afterward.