Re: 2.6.11: suspending laptop makes system randomly unstable

From: Miguelanxo Otero Salgueiro
Date: Tue Mar 22 2005 - 05:22:30 EST

Arjan van de Ven wrote:

Also, I'd consider it a regression that you had to go and find new X
drivers due to a kernel change. We shouldn't do that.

depends really on how bad the bug in the X driver was....
there is limits on how bug-2-bug compatible we can and want to be...

Well, all I can tell is someone suggested changing to a Synaptic Xinput driver in at the 2.6.10 -> 2.6.11 transition, cause the synaptic drivers has a lot of new functionality.

2.6.10 was OK with kernel driver, no changes to X made.
2.6.11 without the Xinput driver was a PITA. With the new driver, it was still worse than 2.6.10, but better than plain 2.6.11. One thing better: the support for scrolling.
2.6.12-rc1 is almost OK with Xinput driver, can't say a thing about plain 2.6.12-rc1.

As for dragging, it was ok in 2.6.10 and previous, but currently broken.