Re: dmesg verbosity [was Re: AGP bogosities]

From: David Lang
Date: Sun Mar 20 2005 - 01:47:57 EST

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, Lee Revell wrote:

On Mon, 2005-03-14 at 19:12 +0100, Diego Calleja wrote:
Why should people look at all that "horrid" debug info everytime
they boot, except when they have a problem?

I'm really not trolling, but I suspect if we made the boot process less
verbose, people would start to wonder more about why Linux takes so much
longer than XP to boot.

two things

1. linux shouldn't take longer to boot then windows (and if properly configured it doesn't)

2. there's a _long_ way between the current situation where a driver can spew 500+ lines of logging and there being so little logging that people don't know what's going on.

if you are on a slow console (say a serial console) just letting the boot messages scroll by can take quite a while today.

David Lang

-- C.A.R. Hoare