RE: Need break driver<-->pci-device automatic association

From: Jacques Goldberg
Date: Sat Mar 19 2005 - 13:19:28 EST

Stuart,
Many thanks for this interesting approach.
A huge advantage is that it can be implemented as a script.
But:
-it still requires the Linux newcomer who wants his modem to work, to
recompile her/his kernel - something which frightens beginners.
-it implies that when adding a serial device such as an other modem, or
a serial scanner, the kernel ought again to be recompiled according to
the new hardware configuration.
-and at each kernel upgrade, often automatic in large organizations,
the kernel must again be tailored to the configuration.

Thanks again - Jacques