Bitrotting serial drivers

From: Russell King
Date: Sat Mar 19 2005 - 12:22:04 EST

Hi,

m32r_sio
--------

Maintainer: Hirokazu Takata

Please clean up the m32r_sio driver, removing whatever bits of code
aren't absolutely necessary.

Specifically, I'd like to see the following addressed:

- the usage of SERIAL_IO_HUB6
(this driver doesn't support hub6 cards)
- SERIAL_IO_* should be UPIO_*
- __register_m32r_sio, register_m32r_sio, unregister_m32r_sio,
m32r_sio_get_irq_map
(this driver doesn't support PCMCIA cards, all of which are based on
8250-compatible devices.)
- early_serial_setup
(should we really have the function name duplicated across different
hardware drivers?)

au1x00_uart
-----------

Maintainer: unknown (akpm - any ideas?)

This is a complete clone of 8250.c, which includes all the 8250-specific
structure names.

Specifically, I'd like to see the following addressed:

- Please clean this up to use au1x00-specific names.
- this driver is lagging behind with fixes that the other drivers are
getting. Is au1x00_uart actually maintained?
- the usage of UPIO_HUB6
(this driver doesn't support hub6 cards)
- __register_serial, register_serial, unregister_serial
(this driver doesn't support PCMCIA cards, all of which are based on
8250-compatible devices.)
- early_serial_setup
(should we really have the function name duplicated across different
hardware drivers?)

The main reason is I wish to kill off uart_register_port and
uart_unregister_port, but these drivers are using it.

Thanks.

--
Russell King
maintainer of: 2.6 Serial core