Re: Need break driver<-->pci-device automatic association

From: Jacques Goldberg
Date: Fri Mar 18 2005 - 08:59:23 EST

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005, Alan Cox wrote:

> On Gwe, 2005-03-18 at 08:57, Jacques Goldberg wrote:
> >Question: is there a way, as of kernels 2.6.10 and above, to release the
> > device from the serial driver, without having to recompile the kernel?
>
> There is an ugly way (fake a hot unplug 8)) butif you want to do it
> properly you need to get the relevant pci check into the serial driver
> proper by submitting it to Russell King. That way the serial driver can
> skip the PCI devices that turn out to be modems

Thank you very much.
To be ugly or to never be up to date, that's the question.
We did patch 8250_pci.c but there is no way to build a stable list of
the devices to be handled that way.
We will thus spend some time on the hot unplug solution.
This is my very last question: is there a script able to do that? Google
quotes their existence but no link found. Or a doc showing how to code
that in a program?

Many many thanks - Jacques