Re: tvtime audio vs pcHDTV-3000 card and pvHDTV-1.6 software

From: George Anzinger
Date: Wed Mar 16 2005 - 20:45:57 EST

Heavens, no need to clean the tree at all. Just add "-X <file> to your diff. I have attached what I use for <file>. It is likely over kill, but should do...

-g

Gene Heskett wrote:
Greetings;

I've spent a goodly part of the last 3 hours rebooting, to find out where this audio control function died, and I think now I can point an accusatory finger at the 2.6.11.2 patch with some degree of certainty.

The scenario goes like this:

reboot to 2.6.11-rc5, everything works flawlessly except the 1394 stuff, that kernel didn't have it built in yet.

reboot to 2.6.11+bk-ieee1394.patch everything works flawlessly

reboot to 2.6.11.1+bk-ieee1394.patch everything works flawlessly

reboot to 2.6.11.2+bk-ieee1394.patch tvtime has no volume control, and the sound gets very very tinny about 1 second after it starts

This scenario continues up to and includeing 2.6.11.4.

So now my next question is, how to I clean up those src trees so that a diff actually outputs only the src code differences, thereby allowing a simple diff -urN (or whatever is the recommended command line to do a recursive diff on the whole maryann) to disclose the real diffs. In other words, is a simple 'make clean' sufficient?

I got the impression from a comment that was made, that quite a body of work was actually done, in the i2c area, that somehow does not show in the changelog, nor in that simple little 10 line patch that was 2.6.11.2. And how that little patch could be responsible for breaking this boggles what tiny little miniscule piece of a mind I have left at this point.

If thats the case, then how did it get into my src code tree since the exact same 2.6.11.tar.gz was used as the base for applying each of the incrementals to each of the src trees I now have sitting in /usr/src? Good question that...

Unforch, the 2.6.11 plain tree has not, in this case been built yet as it got accidently nuked by a missfire of my 'buildit26' script, which normally moves a base version tree out of the way before it unpacks a fresh copy, and then renames that tree to be the current version and then restores the base tree to its original name.

Thats not the one I want to use as the 'gold standard' anyway. 2.6.11.1 works, and 2.6.11.2 doesn't. So at this point, 2.6.11.1 is the 'gold standard'.

But, both the 2.6.11.1 and the 2.6.11.2 trees are as built, and the
diff I got was far larger than forgetting to apply the bk-ieee1394.patch to one of them would account for. Many tens of kilobytes in fact.

Please throw me a bone here folks.

--
George Anzinger george@xxxxxxxxxx
*.o