Re: dmesg verbosity [was Re: AGP bogosities]

From: Greg Stark
Date: Tue Mar 15 2005 - 15:34:28 EST

Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> And those occasional people are often not going to eb very good at
> reporting bugs. If they don't see anything happening, they'll just give up
> rather than bother to report it. So I do think we want the fairly verbose
> thing enabled by default. You can then hide it with the graphical bootup
> for "most people".

that's a bit excessive?

But really for me it's the network drivers that actually annoy me. They dump
stuff into dmesg during the regular course of operation. As a result it
doesn't take long until the boot messages leave the buffer. Of course they're
in the log files, but running dmesg and getting screenfulls of the same
messages about boring network events over and over just annoys me.

--
greg