Re: Building server-farm

From: Indrek Kruusa
Date: Mon Mar 14 2005 - 15:24:53 EST

> I'm looking for a way to connect multiple linux systems
> into one big machine (server-farm) and I can't find any
> way of enabling it in kernel.

It seems that you have to analyse your problem a bit more.

There are 5 main types of clusters (or server-farms as you call it):
- parallel computing
- high availability
- load balancing
- storage cluster
- database cluster

Of course these overlap in functionality but so they say :) In many cases those goals are achievable with "share nothing" in kernel level: lam/mpi, ipvs, hartbeat, lvm etc. Well, about filesystems I am not sure at moment :)

Please analyse your need to create "as it was one big machine" because maybe it is not the solution you really need.

thanks,
Indrek