Re: mouse&keyboard with 2.6.10+

From: Vojtech Pavlik
Date: Mon Mar 14 2005 - 14:21:50 EST

On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 10:06:37PM +0300, Michael Tokarev wrote:

> >>So is this a bios/mobo problem,
> >
> >Yes.
>
> Never had any single problem with this hardware so far. But.. uh-oh.
> Well.. it's only 2.6 kernel that encounters problem with it for now,
> so it must be the kernel... ;)

2.4 leaves the mouse initialization to X start time (X does it), and the
USB modules are loaded before X starts, and thus before mouse init.

> >>or can it be solved in kernel somehow?

> >We could have usb-handoff by default.
>
> What's the consequences of this?
> If it does not hurt (does it?), why not to enable it?

Alan Cox reports some odd machines crash with it.
I haven't seen one myself yet.

> And if it does not hurt, I can enable it in our default netboot
> image as well.. if not to see whenever all our machines will work
> ok with this parameter.

SuSE has it by default, with an option to disable it by no-usb-handoff,
that should tell you how large is the percentage of machines it breaks.

It's pretty safe to enable it in your netboot image.

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs, SuSE CR