RE: fsck error on flashcard with ext2 filesystem

From: Santosh Gupta
Date: Mon Mar 14 2005 - 13:43:24 EST

Hi Jan,
Please see comments inline.

> Although "sync" doesnt seem to make any difference to fsck output,
> "blockdev --flushbufs" fixes the issue.
>
> Still wondering why the flushing of buffer behavior is different on a
> system with normal harddisk (Redhat 7.2 with 2.4.26 kernel ) as compared
> to a system with flashcard (CoreLinux with 2.4.26 kernel) although the
> system parameters/daemons are the same. I dont have to do sync or
> blockdev --flushbufs on standard system. Any ideas?
Hmm, are the kernels really vanilla kernels without any patches?
Anyway the problem was that on the system with flashcard old data were
still kept in the cache for userspace (userspace uses cache independent from
the one filesystem uses), so it could be anything starting by different
amount of memory and ending at a different timing/command sequence
whatever...

<santosh>
Its NOT a vanilla kernel. I patched it with some local ppp and crypto patch,
turned on couple of kernel options and nothing else.
The same patched kernel works fine (as described earlier in mail) on a
normal Redhat 7.2 box.
</santosh>

> I was using fsck with "-n" option which doesnt executes the command, just
> shows what would be done. I thought it would be harmless.
Ok, that won't harm the filesystem but you can still see errors which
are not on the filesystem (because of the cache issues).

Honza

--
Jan Kara <jack@xxxxxxx>
SuSE CR Labs