Re: dmesg verbosity [was Re: AGP bogosities]

From: Jesse Barnes
Date: Mon Mar 14 2005 - 12:31:11 EST

On Monday, March 14, 2005 9:18 am, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> In fact, even the ones that have no "information" end up often being a big
> clue about where the hang happened.

Yeah, I use the startup output all the time for stuff like that, no question
it's useful.

> And those occasional people are often not going to eb very good at
> reporting bugs. If they don't see anything happening, they'll just give up
> rather than bother to report it. So I do think we want the fairly verbose
> thing enabled by default. You can then hide it with the graphical bootup
> for "most people".

Ok, and for the development kernel that makes a lot of sense. But as we've
seen from this thread, leaving in old printks that were once useful but no
longer are tends to clutter things up and hide real errors. I'd like to see
us get better about that--reporting real errors better and keeping the junk
to a minimum.

Jesse