dmesg verbosity [was Re: AGP bogosities]

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Mon Mar 14 2005 - 03:40:05 EST

Hi!

> >>I'm fascinated that not a single person picked up on this problem
> >>whilst the agp code sat in -mm. Even if DRI isn't enabled,
> >>every box out there with AGP that uses the generic routines
> >>(which is a majority), should have barfed loudly when it hit
> >>this check during boot. Does no-one read dmesg output any more ?
> >
> >Its way too long these days. Like "so long it overflows even enlarged
> >buffer". We should prune these messages down to "one line per hw
> >device or serious problems only".
>
> especially if you turn on encryption options. I can understand that output
> being useful for debugging, but there should be a way to not deal with it
> in the normal case.

Perhaps we could have a rule like

"non-experimental driver may only print out one line per actual
device?"

(and perhaps: dmesg output for boot going okay should fit on one screen).

Or perhaps we should have warnings-like regression testing.

"New kernel 2.8.17 came: 3 errors, 135 warnings, 1890 lines of dmesg
junk".
Pavel