Re: [CHECKER] inconsistent NFS stat cache (NFS on ext3, 2.6.11)

From: Daniel Jacobowitz
Date: Sun Mar 13 2005 - 19:37:10 EST

On Sun, Mar 13, 2005 at 03:42:29PM -0500, Trond Myklebust wrote:
> su den 13.03.2005 Klokka 15:04 (-0500) skreiv Daniel Jacobowitz:
>
> > I can't find any documentation about this, but it seems like the same
> > problem that has been causing me headaches lately; when I replace glibc
> > from the server side of an nfsroot, the client has a couple of
> > variously wrong reads before it sees the new files. If it breaks NFS
> > so badly, why is it the default for the Linux NFS server?
>
> No, that's a very different issue: you are violating the NFS cache
> consistency rules if you are changing a file that is being held open by
> other machines.
> The correct way to do the above is to use GNU install with the '-b'
> option: that will rename the version of glibc that is in use, and then
> install the new glibc in a different inode.

[closed and/or irrelevant lists removed from CC:]

No, the copy of glibc in question is not in use at the time. The next
attempt to open it on the client will sometimes generate a "stale NFS
handle" message, or if the open succeeds a read will sometimes return
EIO. But it sounds like this is a different problem than the original
poster was testing for.

I'm still curious about the answer to my question above :-)

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC