Re: [Linux-fbdev-devel] [announce 0/7] fbsplash - The Framebuffer Splash

From: Jon Smirl
Date: Sun Mar 13 2005 - 16:13:43 EST

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 19:53:55 +0100 (CET), Geert Uytterhoeven
<geert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Why do we need patches in the kernel. Just set you config to
> > > CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE, CONFIG_FB, CONFIG_INPUT and don't set fbcon or
> > > vgacon. Then have a userspace app using /dev/fb and /dev/input create a
> > > userland console. There is no need to do special hacks in the kernel.
> >
> > Except that I'll not get usefull reports from Oopsen and panic's,
> > right? Ideally I'd also like high-priority kernel messages to be
> > displayed during boot.
>
> Indeed. I thought the idea was to use the existing fbcon support to draw
> emergency messages to the screen.

That is the idea. I would like to even simplify the fbcon/dev even
more in this model and remove all in-kernel acceleration in fbdev.
The user space console would be fully accelerated using DRM. If we
aren't using fbcon for normal console then it doesn't need to be
accelerated and that source of conflicts can be removed. fbcon would
be used for system recovery, OOPs, boot, kdbg, etc only kernel use, no
normal logins.

> Gr{oetje,eeting}s,
>
> Geert
>
> --
> Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- geert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> In personal conversations with technical people, I call myself a hacker. But
> when I'm talking to journalists I just say "programmer" or something like that.
> -- Linus Torvalds

Jon Smirl
jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxx