Re: Last night Linus bk - netfilter busted?

From: David S. Miller
Date: Fri Mar 11 2005 - 14:11:09 EST

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 15:00:56 +0100
Patrick McHardy <kaber@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Works fine here. You could try if reverting one of these two patches
> helps (second one only if its a SMP box).
>
> ChangeSet@xxxxxx, 2005-03-09 20:28:17-08:00, bdschuym@xxxxxxxxxx
> [NETFILTER]: Reduce call chain length in netfilter (take 2)

It's this change, I know it is, because Linus sees the same problem
on his workstation.

You wouldn't happen to be seeing this problem on a PPC box would
you? Since Linus's machine is a PPC machine too, that would support
my theory that this could be a compiler issue on that platform.

Damn, wait, Patrick, I think I know what's happening. The iptables
IPT_* verdicts are dependant upon the NF_* values, and they don't
cope with Bart's changes I bet. Can you figure out what the exact
error would be? This kind of issue would explain the looping inside
of ipt_do_table(), wouldn't it?