Re: Linux 2.6.11-ac1

From: Alan Cox
Date: Thu Mar 10 2005 - 10:05:04 EST

On Iau, 2005-03-10 at 09:06, Tupshin Harper wrote:
> Alan...since you disagreed with the earlier characterization of what it
> would take to get into the mainline kernels, could you let us know what
> it would take in your opinion? FWIW, I'm happily using it with a -ac kernel.

It needs some small changes in the base ide-disk code to handle drives
having only a logical geometry (legal but Linux can't cope). Most if not
all the other hooks are there to an extent the driver for the it821x can
work without core code changes. It might be cleaner with core changes
but it's better that the it821x code handles the weirdness of the
hardware.

Longer term it (and probably every other IDE PATA driver) should be
moved to the Jeff Garzik SATA layer. That's also Bart's position I
believe ?