Re: Linux 2.6.11.2

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Thu Mar 10 2005 - 07:55:50 EST

On Wednesday 09 March 2005 18:11, Greg KH wrote:
>On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 01:06:31PM -0800, Matt Mackall wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 12:39:23AM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
>> > And to further test this whole -stable system, I've released
>> > 2.6.11.2. It contains one patch, which is already in the -bk
>> > tree, and came from the security team (hence the lack of the
>> > longer review cycle).
>> >
>> > It's available now in the normal kernel.org places:
>> > kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/patch-2.6.11.2.gz
>> > which is a patch against the 2.6.11.1 release.
>>
>> Argh! @*#$&!!&!
>>
>> > If consensus arrives
>> > that this patch should be against the 2.6.11 tree, it will be
>> > done that way in the future.
>>
>> Consensus arrived back when 2.6.8.1 came out.
>
>It did? So, what was it agreed to be? Any pointers to that
> agreement?
>
>> Please, folks, there are automated tools that "know" about kernel
>> release numbering and so on. Said tools broke with 2.6.11.1
>> because it wasn't in the same place that 2.6.8.1 was and now this
>> breaks with all precedent by being an interdiff along a branch.
>
>2.6.11.1 is now in the proper place, sorry for any inconvience that
>caused. This happened yesterday.
>
>> Fixing it in the future is too #*$%* late because you've now
>> turned it into a special case.
>
>No, I can always respin the patch, and re-release it if it's a
> problem.

Somewhat Greg, it caught me out. OTOH, once we know that .2 needs .1,
we'll be ok. And it does give a quick method for us frogs to define
if one of them is a regression. The only thing that should break if
we leave one out of the squence is the EXTRAVERSION path in the
Makefile & we can certainly fix that easily enough for testing.

Question? Is it a given that these, if they don't have warts, will be
in mainline 2.6.12?

>thanks,
>
>greg k-h
>-
>To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe
> linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: