Re: [Linux-fbdev-devel] [announce 0/7] fbsplash - The FramebufferSplash

From: Geert Uytterhoeven
Date: Thu Mar 10 2005 - 04:20:00 EST

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Mer, 2005-03-09 at 20:45, James Simmons wrote:
> > Thank you. We need some kind of basic console in the kernel. I'm not the
> > biggest fan of eye candy. So moving the console to userspace for eye candy
> > is a dumb idea.
>
> Thats why moving the eye candy console into user space is such a good
> idea. You don't have to run it 8) It also means that the console
> development is accessible to all the crazy rasterman types.

Yep. The basic console we already have. Everyone who wants eye candy can switch
from basic console to user space console in early userspace.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

P.S. Many years ago, when I discussed integrating the so-called `abstract
console driver', which allowed to have vgacon and fbcon in the kernel, I
also pondered to make the console a simple tty in response to a `KISS'
request. Now it's time to make that happen ;-)

-- Linus Torvalds