Re: Linux 2.6.11.2

From: Willy Tarreau
Date: Thu Mar 10 2005 - 00:32:08 EST

On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 03:57:16PM -0800, Matt Mackall wrote:

> Imagine we want to go from 2.6.11.3 to 2.6.12

The easiest way would be to keep a local fresh copy of 2.6.11 before
applying 2.6.11.3 anyway. That would solve a) and b) even more easily.
And yes, I find a) more logical. This is the way all private trees have
been working for ages. When you download 2.6.11-ac2, it's not a patch
against -ac1, but against 2.6.11. If you want to start from -ac1, you
get the 2.6.11-ac1-ac2 patch.

And last, since these patches are mostly bugfixes for the reference kernel
(eg: 2.6.11), it seems logical to be able to patch that kernel with the
latest bug fix.

cheers,
willy