Re: BUG: Slowdown on 3000 socket-machines tracked down

From: Christian Schmid
Date: Wed Mar 09 2005 - 23:04:42 EST

So, maybe a VM problem? That would be a good place to focus since
I think we can be fairly certain it isn't a problem in just the
networking code. Otherwise, my tests would show lower bandwidth.

Thanks to your tests I am really sure that its no network-code problem anymore. But what I THINK it is: The network is allocating buffers dynamically and if the vm doesnt provide that buffers fast enough, it locks as well. Addendum: If I throttle to 100 MBit it doesnt slow-down even with 5000 sockets. What do you think? I think its about having to free cache more quicker than possible. But then, why is CPU still at 30%? Might there be some limit per cyclus? For example if that "cleaner" wakes up every 10 ms and cleans max XXXXX pages, it would explain an artificial limit.

Chris