Re: bk commits and dates

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Mar 09 2005 - 22:41:57 EST

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> I don't know if I'm the only one to have a problem with that, but it
> would be nice if it was possible, when you pull a bk tree, to have the
> commit messages for the csets in that tree be dated from the day you
> pulled, and not the day when they went in the source tree.

Nope, that's against how BK works. It's really distributed, so "my" tree
has no special meaning, and as such the fact that I pull has no meaning
either - it doesn't trigger as anything special.

The only thing that ends up being special is when it hits the public tree
which has the trigger to send out the emails. IOW, the date of the _email_
is special (in that it says when a commit hit the public tree), not not
the commits changesets themselves.

Now, if James trigger scripts set the date of the email by the date of the
commit, that sounds like a misfeature, but you'd better talk to James, not
me, since he's the one doing that part..

Linus