Re: RFC: Harmonised parameter passing

From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Tue Mar 08 2005 - 10:19:07 EST

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 15:59:23 +0100, Henk Vergonet
<rememberme@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The current method of parameter passing to drivers build as a module is extremely usefull.
> Modules don't have to write there own parsing code, there's a nice macro that can be used to document specifics of the parameter and so on.
>
> Could we extend this method where we use the same methodology for inbound drivers? (Currently a lot of drivers use their own parameter parsing code when it comes to passing values at kernel boot time.)
>
> so we could do the regular:
>
> insmod mcd io=0x340
>
> for modules, or with kernel boot parameters:
>
> mcd.io=0x340
>
> for in-kernel drivers.

Umm.. This is already done. For parameters defined with module_param()
you use <paramname>=<value> for modules and

> My proposal would be to introduce something like:
>
> DRIVER_PARM_DESC(variable, description);
> DRIVER_PARM(variable, type, scope);
>
> where scope can be:
> PARM_SCOPE_MODULE => This parameter is used in module context.
> PARM_SCOPE_KERNEL => This parameter is used in kernel context.
> PARM_SCOPE_MODULE | PARM_SCOPE_KERNEL
> => This parameter is used in both kernel and module context, which should be the default if scope is omitted.

Why would you want parameters that only work for modules? I'd consider
it a bug, not a feature, when parameter works only when code is
modularized.

--
Dmitry