Re: [RFQ] Rules for accepting patches into the linux-releases tree

From: Andres Salomon
Date: Mon Mar 07 2005 - 03:39:04 EST

On Sun, 2005-03-06 at 15:10 -0500, Adam Kropelin wrote:
> Andres Salomon <dilinger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > An obvious fix is an obvious fix. It shouldn't matter whether people have
> > triggered a bug or not; why discriminate?
>
> Because the sucker tree is purposely driven by real bug reports, not by
> developers who happen across a theoretical problem while traversing the
> code. If users aren't hitting it today, the fix can wait for 2.6.n+1.

Here's an example; if there's a theoretical integer under/overflow in
some part of the kernel, but no one is hitting it because (by chance,
not by design) there's no way for a user to stuff an incorrect value in
there.

Does it get fixed in 2.6.x.y? According to the above rule, it does not.
However, it may be the case where a third party patch end up modifying
things such that the value in the sign integer is now not properly
sanity checked (ignore any security issues for the moment; assume only
root can stuff an incorrect value in there). If it's a core function, a
third party module may end up calling it without checking the integer
value it's passing. So, it's not a problem in 2.6.x; it becomes a
problem at some later point, thanks to an external patch or module.

Why not just fix it? It still falls under the category of an obvious
fix; just because a user isn't triggering it now, doesn't mean they
won't be triggering it later. An argument could be made that this would
mean a lot of extra work for the Suckers, but it's only up to the point
at which the next 2.6.x kernel is released.

> > I disagree w/ this; if it's an obvious fix, there should be no need for
> > this. Either it's a race that is clearly incorrect (after tracing through
> > the relevant code), or it's not.
>
> The sucker tree is not a dumping ground for every fix under the sun
> (even obvious ones). It's for solving problems hit by real users, right
> now.

I'm not saying fix every problem, but I would think that those that fix
a (potential) race, oops, hang, or security issue would be worth fixing.
But then, maybe I'm reading too much into this (as it's been stated
these are guidelines, not rules..)

> > This and the "it must fix a problem" are basically saying the same
> > thing.
>
> No. There's an important distinction and the key word is "contain". This
> rule specifically forbids patches that do fix a real problem but _also_
> contain unrelated trivial changes. See "setup_per_zone_lowmem_reserve()
> oops fix" for an example of a patch that could theoretically be rejected
> due to this rule.

Ah, yes.

--
Andres Salomon <dilinger@xxxxxxxxx>