Re: [rfc/rft] Fujitsu B-Series Lifebook PS/2 TouchScreen driver

From: Vojtech Pavlik
Date: Mon Mar 07 2005 - 02:43:38 EST

On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 08:27:16AM +0100, Kenan Esau wrote:

> > > The current patch has implemented it that way. But the meaning is a
> > > little bit different. With proto=lifebook you ENFORCE the lifebook
> > > protocol. As far as I read the meaning of the other ones this does not
> > > really enforce these protocols.
> >
> > That's OK. I'd like to keep the DMI probing as well, though, so it's not
> > absolutely necessary to provide the parameter.
>
> You mean if the device is in the appropriate DMI-database use the
> lifebook protocol and if the parameter is provided use it also (although
> it might not be in the DMI database)?

Yes.

> > > Why that?
> >
> > Can you send any commands to the external mouse? How the touchscreen
> > reacts when the mouse starts sending 4-byte responses?
>
> No idea yet -- I will test this.

OK.

> > We process the external mouse packets inside lifebook.c anyway and
> > we don't have any support for the enhanced protocols there.
>
> Ah OK.

However, if it was possible to forward commands to the external mouse,
we could implement a full passthrough like synaptics.c has, and then
support any kind of external mouse (including wheels, bells and
whistles.)

> I personally never used an external mouse. But last weekend I played
> around a little bit and recognized that there are some BIOS-settings
> which control the behavior of the touchscreen, quickpoint-device and
> external mouse. I have to play around with those a little bit more. But
> as far as I can see you can never have all three at the same time.

That's probably because the quickpoint is connected in place of the
external mouse.

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs, SuSE CR