APM vs. USB BlueTooth in 2.6.11

From: Vincent C Jones
Date: Sat Mar 05 2005 - 15:50:07 EST

SuSE 9.2 on IBM ThinkPad X31 (2884-JUU), 2.6.11 kernel. Great having a
notebook where everything just works.

Bluetooth (hci_usb) works fine, but after suspend/resume cycle using
APM the BlueTooth interface dies (LED goes out) and I can't get it back
by unloading/reloading modules. However, if I compile the bluetooth and
hci_usb into the kernel rather than as modules, suspend resume seems to
work fine. (APM is configured to stop/start Bluetooth service around a
suspend/resume cycle).

Any idea why?

FWIW: I still use APM because ACPI suspend to RAM consumes 1250
mW/hour while APM suspend to RAM is only 360 mW/hour, not worth the
fancy features, but that is another topic. Windows XP ACPI suspend
to RAM consumes 525 mW/hour.

Any suggestions on how to reduce power consumption when suspended
using ACPI?

--
Dr. Vincent C. Jones, PE Expert advice and a helping hand
Computer Network Consultant for those who want to manage and