Re: Slowdown on high-load machines with 3000 sockets

From: Christian Schmid
Date: Sat Mar 05 2005 - 11:55:02 EST

Attached is another traffic-image. This one is with 2.6.10 and a 3/1 split, preemtive kernel, so all defaults.

The first part is where I throttled the whole thing to 100 MBit in order to build up a traffic-jam ;)

When I released it, it jumped up immediately but suddenly it goes down (each pixel is one second) Playing around with min_free_kbytes didnt help. Where it goes up again I set lower_zone_protection to 1024000 and where it goes down I set it to 0 again and where it goes up the last time... guess..

Well I was only able to test this with 3500 sockets. I will try to jam up tomorrow to reach 5000 sockets to see if that is really the reason.

Nick Piggin wrote:
Christian Schmid wrote:

This issue has been tracked down more. This bug does NOT appear if I disable preemtive kernel.
Maybe this helps.

Yes, it may help - can you boot with profile=schedule and get
the results for say, a 30 second period while the application
is experiencing problems?

So:

start application
wait till it hits slowdown
readprofile -r ; sleep 30 ; readprofile > schedprof.out

and send schedprof.out, please?

Thanks,
Nick

PNG image