Re: RFD: Kernel release numbering

From: David Lang
Date: Fri Mar 04 2005 - 23:09:58 EST

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005, Rene Herman wrote:

Linus Torvalds wrote:

I've long since decided that there's no point to making "-pre". What's the difference between a "-pre" and a daily -bk snapshot? Really?

The fact that not a script, but Linus Torvalds, decides that the tree is in a state he likes to share with others. You have been doing -pre's all this time, it's just that you are calling them -rc's.

remember that there are the nightly CVS dumps and patches being created as well.

from my point of view it appears that when Linus releases -rc1 he is hopeing that it's actually going to be final, but since nobody bothers to test before that it has never actually been the case. As a result additional changes need to be done and Linus chooses to fix it by moving forward and doing additional fixes rather then by reverting patches. He does allow some additional patches to move in as well for a little while, but all of them are expected to be fixes.

David Lang

-- C.A.R. Hoare