Re: RFD: Kernel release numbering

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Fri Mar 04 2005 - 13:42:00 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:
I've long since decided that there's no point to making "-pre". What's the difference between a "-pre" and a daily -bk snapshot? Really?

Several non-BK developers use the first -rc1 as a merge point.

Others simply trust that _Linus_ has a lot more smarts than an automated script, about deciding when a good testing point should occur. Holy Penguin Pee has value, they feel.

So when I do a release, it _is_ an -rc. The fact that people have trouble understanding this is not _my_ fault.

If you want people to start testing, a good first step would be understanding why this is so.

Users have been trained that -rc means "serious bugfixes only". You are trying to re-train them. That just won't work.

When you do an -rc1 or -rc2, it is not serious bugfixes only. _Especially_ rc1. rc1 is in no way "bugfixes only." Non-BK developers just treat the first couple -rc's as a merge point, while the rest of us BK developers have already gone into "send bugfixes only" mode.

You are fighting an uphill battle against user perceptions and training.

Jeff