Re: BIOS overwritten during resume (was: Re: Asus L5D resume on battery power)

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Fri Mar 04 2005 - 06:16:43 EST

Hi!

> > IIRC kernel code/data is marked as PageReserved(), that's why we need
> > to save that :(. Not sure what to do with data e820 marked as
> > reserved...
>
> Perhaps we need another page flag, like PG_readonly, and mark the pages
> reserved by the e820 as PG_reserved | PG_readonly (the same for the areas
> that are not returned by e820 at all). Would that be acceptable?

This flags are little in the short supply, but being able to tell
kernel code from memory hole seems like "must have", so yes, that
looks ok.

You could get subtle and reuse some other pageflag. I do not think
PG_reserved can have PG_locked... So using for example PG_locked for
this purpose should be okay.
Pavel