Re: RFD: Kernel release numbering

From: Lee Revell
Date: Fri Mar 04 2005 - 00:31:10 EST

On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 16:03 -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Or, to put it another way, we're getting a small number of irritating
> regressions, mainly in device drivers which is giving the whole thing a bad
> rep. Is there some way in which we can fix that problem without
> reinventing the whole world?

This seems to be a damn hard problem. For example I can't think of any
reasonable release candidate process that would have prevented that
guy's sound problem with the Thinkpad and the docking station. Without
comprehensive hardware documentation, as long as there are more
different types of hardware then there are people who can hack drivers,
I think this will be an issue.

Lee