IDE locking (was: Re: RFD: Kernel release numbering)

From: CaT
Date: Thu Mar 03 2005 - 20:55:25 EST

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 12:44:04AM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Gwe, 2005-03-04 at 00:19, CaT wrote:
> > Working IDE locking? Does this mean if I have 2 promise cards, a HD
> > on each card and I copy from one to the other it wont all blow up in my
> > face?
>
> Depends on your PCI bus and also if the are on the same IRQ. In the same

Hmm. How can I check on this? What should I look for?

> IRQ case you may find 2.6.11 is a bit saner as Bartlomiej may have
> sorted one of the IRQ masking problems now.

/proc/interrupts reports different irqs for each ide device:

5: 5018683 XT-PIC ide4
11: 167995 XT-PIC ide2, eth0
14: 39799 XT-PIC ide0
15: 10704 XT-PIC ide1

The problems were weird. The fs I was copying from decided it was
corrupt. Unmounting the partition and trying an fsck reported that it
couldn't find the partition. After a reboot all was well and a fsck
reported no problems.

--
Red herrings strewn hither and yon.