Re: RFD: Kernel release numbering

From: Alan Cox
Date: Thu Mar 03 2005 - 19:14:42 EST

On Iau, 2005-03-03 at 16:59, Greg KH wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 10:55:13AM -0600, Chris Friesen wrote:
> > Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >
> > >I'll tell you what the problem is: I don't think you'll find anybody to do
> > >the parallell "only trivial patches" tree.
> >
> > Isn't this what -ac and -as effectively already are?
>
> Based on the patches in those trees, no :)

I've not found a much smaller set that isn't rootable, trivially DoSable
with published tools or leaves users with non-working hardware that got
pulled by Linus having a random pissy fit about pwc etc.

-ac is essentially base security fixes + working IDE locking + pwc +
fixes for the bugs everyone hit that needed fixing urgently. I consider
working locking on my storage essential because I like my data to still
be there.

-as is similar although it makes different choices about what matters.

Given 3 or 4 people it ought to be possible to make a much much tighter
patch set for this purpose.