Re: RFD: Kernel release numbering

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Thu Mar 03 2005 - 16:32:12 EST

As a further elaboration...

The problem with the current 2.6-rc setup is a _human_ _communications_ problem.

Users have been trained in a metaphor that is applied uniformly across all software projects that use the metaphor:

test release: a useful merge/testing point
release candidate: bugfixes only, test test test

Linux does it differently.

It's hard enough to get users to test... now we have raised the barrier even higher by abusing a common metaphor. A metaphor that is used _succesfully_ elsewhere to get users to test.

"release candidate" is a promise to users that the current tree is close to what the release will look like, and only major fixes will appear between -rc and -final.

We broke that promise. In human interface terms, this is like redefining the "garbage can" icon to mean "save your work." ;-)

Jeff