Re: RFD: Kernel release numbering

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Mar 03 2005 - 15:50:57 EST

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, Sean wrote:

> Wait a second though, this tree will be branched from the development
> mainline. So it will contain many patches that entered with less
> testing.

Well, since I'd pull basically all the time, all the patches _do_ get
testing the the -rc kernels.

But the rules would be that small patches can also be verified
independently.

And realize that the 2.6.x tree doesn't "change" any way. It doesn't get
more unruly just because we have a side tree that is being anal about
things. It's still as stable as it ever is..

Linus