Re: RFD: Kernel release numbering

From: Krzysztof Halasa
Date: Thu Mar 03 2005 - 15:17:15 EST

Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> 1) There is no clear, CONSISTENT point where "bugfixes only"
> begins. Right now, it could be -rc2, -rc3, -rc4... who knows.
>
> We need to send a clear signal to users "this is when you can really
> start hammering it." A signal that does not change from release to
> release. A signal that does not require intimate knowledge of the
> kernel devel process.

I think so.

> 2) After 2.6.11 release is out, there is no established process for
> "oh shit, 2.6.11 users will really want that fixed."

We can do 2.6.11.x scheme. For the last stable kernel, of course
(i.e., one additional small patchset). No more 2.6.11.x when 2.6.12
is out.

> The 2.4.x series -pre/-rc is an example of a solution for problem #1.

Yes.
But, to shorten the time between stable kernels, I would limit
number of "pre"s. Maybe 1 or even no "pre" kernel is enough?
Massive updates would take place before rc1 is released, of course.
--
Krzysztof Halasa