Re: RFD: Kernel release numbering

From: Wichert Akkerman
Date: Thu Mar 03 2005 - 09:09:32 EST

Previously Jeff Garzik wrote:
> We need to send a clear signal to users "this is when you can really
> start hammering it." A signal that does not change from release to
> release. A signal that does not require intimate knowledge of the
> kernel devel process.

The problem I see with that is that the majority is going to wait until
one or two releases after that point since the first 'stablization
point' since that the first such release will not have received much
testing yet. Just like the .0 release for a lot of projects turns
out to a beta version even though they had a seperate beta test.

Wichert.

--
Wichert Akkerman <wichert@xxxxxxxxx> It is simple to make things.
http://www.wiggy.net/ It is hard to make things simple.