Re: Page fault scalability patch V18: Drop first acquisition of ptl

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Thu Mar 03 2005 - 02:46:09 EST

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
On Fri, 2005-03-04 at 04:19 +1100, Nick Piggin wrote:

You don't want to do that for all architectures, as I said earlier.
eg. i386 can concurrently set the dirty bit with the MMU (which won't
honour the lock).

So you then need an atomic lock, atomic pte operations, and atomic
unlock where previously you had only the atomic pte operation. This is
disastrous for performance.

Of course, but I was answering to David about sparc64 which uses
software TLB load :)

Oh sorry, I completely misunderstood what you said... and the
context in which you said it :P