Re: Page fault scalability patch V18: Drop first acquisition of ptl

From: Christoph Lameter
Date: Thu Mar 03 2005 - 02:03:42 EST

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Andrew Morton wrote:

> > Any mmap changes requires the mmapsem.
>
> sys_remap_file_pages() will call install_page() under down_read(mmap_sem).
> It relies upon page_table_lock for pte atomicity.

This is not relevant since it only deals with file pages. ptes are only
installed atomically for anonymous memory (if CONFIG_ATOMIC_OPS
is defined).

do_file_page() does call the populate function which does the right thing
in acquiring the page_table_lock before a pte update. My patch does not
touch that.

/*
* Install a file pte to a given virtual memory address, release any
* previously existing mapping.
*/
int install_file_pte(struct mm_struct *mm, struct vm_area_struct *vma,
unsigned long addr, unsigned long pgoff, pgprot_t prot)
{
int err = -ENOMEM;
pte_t *pte;
pmd_t *pmd;