Re: RFD: Kernel release numbering

From: Ben Greear
Date: Wed Mar 02 2005 - 22:19:05 EST

Jeff Garzik wrote:
I also note that part of the problem that motivates the even/odd thing is a tacit acknowledgement that people only _really_ test the official releases.

Which IMHO backs up my opinion that we simply need more frequent releases.

That doesn't really help in my opinion. We need the comfort of knowing
that if we do find a bug, then soon we will have a release that will fix
this bug, with a *very* high probability of not changing anything else
significantly, or adding new regressions. The current wait between
the official releases is too long to wait for a bug fix, but it is also likely
that other regressions have slipped in due to the large churn in the code.

If you simply release faster, without doing bug-fix only releases, then
I think we'll continue to see regressions.

I think the 2.6.X.y release scheme could work, as others have mentioned.

--
Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>